Pages

Thursday 9 July 2015

Reality hits


July 8, 2015

7:15 a.m. I've been up since before 6:00 and realize that I have arrived at my true off-the-grid experience. My various batteries, which have given me a cushion so far, are very low, if not dead.

My laptop needs charging but, when I plugged it into the inverter, an alarm went off. I hastily unplugged it and turned off the inverter as it drains power.

My 12-volt fridge is running only sporadically. My cell phone is at 40% battery. I realized I left five programs running in the background of my phone, which drains the battery faster. Darn! I shut them off, went to 'settings' and turned off the wireless feature. I make a mental note to research cell phone battery use.

My lovely little solar radio lost its charge two days ago. I have been using the hand-crank which gives me a few minutes of radio before I need to wind it again. The manual said that one minute of winding gives about seven minutes of radio. A full charge is 100 minutes of winding or 11-15 hours of strong sunlight. I'll leave it in the sun when I go to work today.

At 7:15 I put my oatmeal with raisins in the solar cooker - just as soon as the sun hit the ground. I have to be at work at 9:00 so I hope it will be cooked in time. I notice that the sun is not as intense in the early morning so breakfast cooks slower.

On July 2, the day after I waxed lyrical in this blog about my delicious French toast covered with raspberries, I made French toast again. But this time I had to be at work by 9:00. I put the egg-soaked bread in the solar cooker at 7:30 but it was only 2/3 cooked when I pulled it out of the cooker at 8:40. I smothered it in rhubarb stew (solar cooked in my first solar experiment) and it wasn't bad. I made it to work on time anyway.

My grandmother, Agatha Barraud, in 1929.

Unable to charge my laptop and wanting to work on the blog, I pulled out my grandmother's 1920s Remington typewriter which I haven't used since I left Botswana. I typed many letters on this typewriter in my hut by candlelight after Grannie gave it to me - delivered by my parents during a visit. I love the clack, clack, clack of the keys. Somehow those keys seem to bring more clarity to my writing.

This is me in my first house in Kang, Botswana in 1991. I bought a manual typewriter in Gaborone, the capital until my parents arrived for a visit with Grannie's typewriter. I don't know if you can see that I have a chicken sitting on my left arm. Cosmo, The Wonder Chick, liked to sit on my hands as I typed. I would put him on my shoulder and he invariably would end up perching on my head as I typed. I guess it was a good compromise.

July 9 updates

The oatmeal never did cook on time and I'm really starting to pay attention to the time of day that I cook.

The solar radio works very well if I just make sure it's out in the sun most of the day when I'm not using it.

My hot water strategy for dishes and showers - hanging a black solar-heated shower bag in the sun - is working splendidly. Most days I can enjoy a hot shower by carrying the heated bag to a hook in my shower. On cloudy days I'll simply have a bucket bath, which is refreshing in this heat.

Today's challenge: laundry. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment