Pages

Wednesday 1 July 2015

Day 1


Last night I switched off the electrical panel in my house. I came upstairs just as the last light of dusk faintly lit my kitchen. This is how my evenings will be unless I figure out some lighting for my kitchen and bathroom that fits within the strict parameters I set for myself.

It was almost 10:00. My off-the-grid project had not quite started so I lit a candle - forbidden under my project rules - and enjoyed the last bath of the summer. For the next two months it will be sun-heated showers or bucket baths, depending on the weather. I turned on the electric radio and sank into the bath, enjoying the flickering light in the small, dark room.

Candles are so beautiful. Do I really want to deprive myself of this lovely luxury all summer? Yes, I've lived by candlelight for a whole year in my hut in the Kalahari Desert in Botswana. As lovely as it was, it's time to move on and take on new challenges. I unplug the radio, pick up the candle, and put them both away.

My off-the-grid summer has begun.

*  *  *

I woke up to a beautiful, sunny day. I poured myself an infused coffee - something suggested by my sister, Krista. Just put a cup of coarsely ground coffee in a jar and add 4 1/2 cups of water. Let it sit for 24 hours and you have a rich and fragrant cup of coffee. 




Before I went out to the garden I cut up some French bread that had gone dry, dipped three slices in a bowl with two beaten eggs. I let the bread soak and be fully covered and then I popped the bread into my solar cooker to cook while I worked in the garden.






One more early-morning task was to fill two solar shower bags with water and hang them in the sun. They will be nice and warm when I want them for a shower and washing dishes in the evening.




As my breakfast cooked, I headed out to the garden to putter and harvest. The raspberries, peas and even a few tomatoes are ready to be picked. 












After an hour in the garden my breakfast is ready. Solar cooking is slow cooking and it is forcing me to slow down. For someone who is always rushing, that is a very good thing.

Happy Canada Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment