Pages

Tuesday 30 June 2015

My solar set-up

Harold Lunnar, owner of Nova Independent Resources in Kelowna, teaches me how to set up the system.
Photo: David Rooney

One of my main goals for my off-the-grid summer is learning how to set up, maintain and regulate a small solar system. Last year, Harold Lunnar, owner of Nova Independent Resources in Kelowna, helped our local Sustainable Living Committee set up a small system for a workshop. Naturally, I thought of Harold for my summer project.

Harold understood my project immediately and provided me with an appropriate system - not too big; not too small. A smaller panel would have worked, he told me, but the difference in cost was minimal, though the inverter for the larger size would be a bit more expensive. 

He built a tilt structure to mount the panel on the roof. Because it is a temporary project, he suggested weighing the frame down with sand bags. The panel should face due south and tilt 37 degrees.





Charge control panel and inverter. 
Harold also built a small control panel for the charge controller and inverter. The charge-control panel prevents the battery from overcharging and and lets me know if the battery is running low. The inverter allows me to charge 120-volt appliances or appliances with regular plugs. I will charge my laptop, cell phone, ipad and battery charger using the inverter. I will also use it for my printer. Whenever it is not in use it will be switched off as the inverter consumes energy.

The 12-volt deep cycle battery remains
outside. A lid is placed on the container
to protect it from the elements. A small
opening is left for venting.

Harold instructed me to locate the control panel inside, but near the battery (12-volt deep cycle, rented from the Sustainable Living Committee). The battery needs to be kept outside in a large Rubbermaid container to allow safe venting of sulfuric acid fumes. It should be protected from the elements with the container lid but there should be a small opening (where the wires enter the battery box) for venting. I put a rock on the lid to ensure it doesn't blow off in the wind.


John Bafaro hauled eight heavy sandbags to secure the solar panel on the roof.
Amazing!








Taking on a project like this it's good to have friends who bring an abundance of excitement, encouragement, knowledge and practical help. David Rooney, my friend and editor (of the Revelstoke Current) went to Kelowna with me to pick up the solar panel and equipment. Sonny Pedersen and John Bafaro installed the panel up on my room. John zipped up and down the steep ladder carrying eight heavy sandbags to stabilize the panel.


Engineer Dave Aubrey dropped by to help with the wiring and test the 15-watt
system that will provide light to the kitchen.
My friends Dave Aubrey and Cornelius Suchy, and my tenant Marc Paradis, helped me with the wiring while instructing me on simple wiring techniques. Dave and Cornelius are both engineers who have a strong interest in sustainable energy.

Today, the day before my off-the-grid summer starts, I have a light and a radio (Sonny's old car radio and speaker) wired into my bedroom and a 12-volt fridge in my office. Before the day's end I will wire another light in the office. All direct-current positive wires are equipped with a fuse for safety.


Even a small electrical system like this needs a fuse for safety. 
Photo: David Rooney








No comments:

Post a Comment