Pages

Tuesday 30 June 2015

New beginnings


In preparation for my off-the-grid summer I removed all pots and appliances that relied on hydro electricity. 
What a difference!

6:00 a.m. on June 30th. I woke up to a battery-operated alarm clock that I will put away for the summer. Already the light and radio beside my bed - an old car radio lent by a friend - are powered by the sun.

I felt a momentary sense of panic as I turned on the CBC radio. My bedroom radio was wired in so I can't move it and the solar-powered radio hadn't arrived yet. I am a dedicated CBC listener and would really miss it if I only had a radio in my bedroom. Maybe I could turn up the volume really high.

Today was really busy. I rushed to do all my laundry because anything after this will be hand washed. I charged every conceivable appliance with a battery - including my laptop, phone, ipad, rechargeable batteries and cordless drill.

The past two days have been mostly cloudy and the light on my charge controller indicated that my battery was running low. What would I do if I ran out of power? Would the food in my small 12-volt fridge go bad? Could I work? What am I getting myself into?

Last run to the Thrift Shop to get rid of some of the heavier items that are cluttering my home. Since my parents passed away earlier this year I have been amalgamating two homes. My mother was a real collector and, I confess, so am I. The hardest things to get rid of - or give to the thrift store - are sentimental things: souvenirs from travels, photos and letters. I look forward to this summer as a time to think about what is important to me.

A big job today was cleaning out the jam-packed fridge and freezer because the 12-volt fridge that I will use is less than half its size. Some things just have to go. Others can be stored in a spare freezer in the basement of our former family home. I think it's a shame to be storing and always 'eating up' so much food when I have the best refrigerator possible just outside my doors: my garden.

This summer I want to break bad habits that I know I share with many people. About a month ago I stopped using lights during the daytime but I still often leave my computer on when  I'm not using it and I don't turn off the power bar to avoid 'shadow' electricity. I started riding my bike and walking more but I still have been jumping in my car when I'm in a rush. Now I'll
have to plan ahead more and recognize that biking can get me to my destination almost as fast as a car - and sometimes faster. I am allowed two car rides (return) a month and if I use them up at the beginning of the month on short, needless trips, tough luck for me!

5:40 pm. I phoned The Source to check if my solar radio arrived and it had. I dashed to the store and picked it up. It works beautifully! I'll have my CBC tomorrow!
Solar radio in my best 'refrigerator': the garden.


Finally I removed all electrical appliances and items that depended on electrical appliances - like my stovetop coffee maker and kettle - from the kitchen and living room. Wow! I have a lot more room!

Taking away the microwave, blender, beater and toaster oven, I have lots of room for small manual appliances: manual blender, manual coffee grinder, radio and spiralizer.







No comments:

Post a Comment